Posted • Marjani Smith
Skinny-Style Burgers and "No Potato" Salad
4 SERVINGS 45 MINUTES 620 CALORIES PER SERVING
54g PROTEIN 34g FAT 22g CARBS 7g FIBER 460mg SODIUM
Out on the west coast, fast-food burger aficionados whisper about “protein-style” burgers (burgers wrapped in lettuce instead of bread). But since tomatoes are in season, why not give these “Skinny-Style” burgers a shot. Pair them with our “No-Potato” Salad for a delicious main meal.
INGREDIENTS2 lbs. 90% lean ground beef
8 medium tomatoes
4 slices of mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 pieces
8 romaine lettuce leaves
1 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1 Tbsp. oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
For OurSkinny's "No Potato" Salad:
3 turnips, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
2 celery stalks, cut into ¼ inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- In a large bowl, pull the meat apart into small chunks.
- Add pepper, basil, oregano and garlic, and toss gently until loosely mixed.
- Form the mixture into 8 patties.
- Slice the tomatoes in half.
- Place the burgers on the grill and flip only once (don’t press).
- Cook 2 minutes per side for rare, 3 for medium-rare, 4 for medium, and 5 for well-done.
- Remove the burgers from the grill and top with a piece of cheese.
- Let rest for 3-5 minutes.
- Place a leaf of romaine atop one half tomato and place the burger on top of the lettuce.
- Top with other half of the tomato.
- Blend the oil, vinegar, mustard, parsley and chives until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate until turnips are done…
- Place the turnips in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Make sure to leave the pot uncovered.
- Drain the turnips and drain in a colander for five minutes.
- Place the turnips, shredded carrots, and celery in a bowl.
- Toss with the mustard vinaigrette.
- Cover and refrigerate.