Skinny Grilled Cheese
4 SERVINGS 15 MINUTES 278 CALORIES PER SERVING
25g PROTEIN 8g FAT 30g CARBS 12g FIBER 351mg SODIUM
The perfect main meal for a rainy afternoon.
April showers and all… sometimes grilled cheese and tomato soup is just the way to go, and it is time to expand your notion of what a sandwich can be. Think a crispier “Eggplant Parmigiana” and you will begin to understand the concept behind OurSkinny’s latest main meal recipe.
Eggplant is a great bread replacement. Better yet, eggplant is a great source of dietary fiber and vitamin B1, not to mention the phytonutrients and flavonoids that get so much press for their anti-oxidizing power. Serve with OurSkinny's Fresh Tomato Soup for a great combo anytime.
INGREDIENTS1 medium Eggplant
3 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
¼ tsp. black pepper
- Trim tops and bottoms of the eggplant. Use a peeler to remove strips of skin lengthwise.
- Cut eggplant crosswise ½-3/4 inch slices (making 8 round pieces).
- Season with black pepper and thyme.
- Place eggplant in pan coated with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat.
- Brown each side, approximately 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat and place ½ of the rounds on a broiler pan.
- Top the rounds with cheese.
- Place the remaining eggplant slices on top and broil until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.