Posted • Marjani Smith
Seared Cod with Avocado Salad
4 SERVINGS 45 MINUTES 340 CALORIES PER SERVING
39g PROTEIN 14g FAT 16g CARBS 7g FIBER 233mg SODIUM
Cod has been an important source of vitamins A, D, and E and of omega-3 fatty acids ever since the vikings roamed the oceans. Pan-seared, it stands up nicely to a Mediterranean combination of veggies and spices, and you can complete your main meal with a delicious avocado salad.
INGREDIENTS4 cod fillets or steaks (about 7 ounces each)
4 plum tomatoes, diced
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno chili, seeded and chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. capers, drained, and rinsed
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the Avocado Salad:
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 2-inch pieces
1 small head cauliflower, chopped to yield 2 cups
2 small zucchinis, chopped into 2-inch pieces
1 avocado, peeled and cut into2-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Sprinkle the cod steaks on both sides with ¼ tsp. of the pepper.
- In a large, nonstick skillet swirl around ½ Tbsp. of olive oil to coat and over medium-high heat.
- Add the fish to the pan and sear on both sides until lightly browned, about 2 minutes a side.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining olive oil to the pan.
- Add the shallots and green peppers and saute until soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, capers and jalapeno and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Stir in the remaining ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Return the fish to the pan, cover and simmer until the fish is opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the cod to individual plates.
- Stir the lime juice into the vegetables and pan juices and spoon some sauce over each steak.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Toss the carrots, cauliflower, and zucchini with olive oil in a bowl.
- Spread the vegetables on a cookie sheet
- Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the vegetables over and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- If they start to brown, cover with a foil tent.
- Once cooked and cooled, toss vegetables with avocado and lemon juice.
OURSKINNY CHEF'S NOTESYou might want to make the salad early in the day, so that all the flavors have time to blend.
The one thing about Cod is that it has been overfished, especially in the Atlantic. When buying cod, choose Pacific Cod if possible, and when buying fish, always look for the seal of the Marine Stewardship Council, which tells you that you are buying certified sustainable seafood.