Posted • Marjani Smith
OurSkinny Greek Salad
4 SERVINGS 60 MINUTES 142 CALORIES PER SERVING
5g PROTEIN 7g FAT 19g CARBS 5g FIBER 197mg SODIUM
Spaghetti squash is the foundation of this main meal recipe, which has so much flavor that you won’t believe it’s good for you. The olives and feta cheese give the dish a salty, old world flavor that will make you want to throw dishes around the house and cry, “OPA!”
INGREDIENTS1 large spaghetti squash
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. Greek Seasoning*see below
3 small cucumbers
½ cup chopped red onion
cup chopped green pepper
¼ cup Kalamata olives, sliced in half
1 ½ cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
¼ cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
¾ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. mint
½ tsp. thyme
¼ tsp. basil
¼ tsp. dried minced onion
¼ tsp. dried minced garlic
1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut both ends off the squash and cut into fourths lengthwise.
- Scrape out the seeds and stringy parts around the seeds.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and arrange spaghetti squash cut side up.
- Drizzle a little olive oil onto the cut surface of each piece of squash and sprinkle with Greek seasoning.
- Roast the squash for 50 minutes, or until it strings apart easily with a fork.
- While the squash cooks, peel and cut cucumber into pieces about 3/4-inch wide.
- Chop the onion and green pepper into pieces a little smaller than the cucumber.
- Cut Kalamata olives and cherry tomatoes in half and add to the bowl.
- Mix together the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, dried oregano and black pepper.
- Whisk in the olive oil and set dressing aside.
- When the squash is done, let cool, then use a fork to scrape the flesh away from the skin in strands.
- Discard the skin and divide the spaghetti squash between four serving bowls.
- Add the dressing to salad ingredients and stir until coated.
- Gently stir in the crumbled feta.
- Spoon a generous amount of the Greek salad mixture over each bowl of spaghetti squash.